Sunday, August 28, 2011

July at MRS

July started off fairly slow here. Everyone was just getting out of school and getting ready to go camping it seems. This summer, a lot of people went camping. Tourists were nowhere to be seen. I blame that on the weather as well. It just didn't seem like summer was ever going to come. I just had my regular lessons for the first week or so. It really didn't pick up until the middle to the end of the month. I met some great people from Ontario who originally grew up here on the South Shore. There were two separate families who came to do pony rides for their kids. Each of the mom's used to ride and they both got the itch to have lessons. I ended up doing some lessons with them as well. We had a lot of fun at MRS the last week of July.

I was also incredibly lucky to meet a family from Bermuda. Their girl took some lessons here throughout a week. It was interesting to learn that keeping horses in Bermuda was almost impossible- due to lack of space and of course, money. It literally costs a fortune as they have to import everything. I don't think I could imagine having to live there without horses ;)  However, I am now very keen on visiting Bermuda, it sounds like a great place. After Elsa's last lesson, she handed me a DVD. Her father had done a huge research project on Humpback Whales in Bermuda, as well as the Maritimes. After I watched the amazing piece, I felt so lucky to have had the chance to meet all these people. The best part is that they will all come back next year and I'm hoping to see them again!

I also had an opportunity this year to work with Groupon. They are a huge advertising company that anyone can subscribe to. They have a daily deal that gets e-mailed to your address and you have the option to buy it. So we had our website and a pony ride deal on for two days. I basically did it just to get the name out in the Halifax area and to raise some awareness. It went pretty well, and I sold a few. Over the course of the
summer I have had some of those already and will have the rest in the fall.

Recently, MRS was featured in the local newspaper the Advance. Kelly came out in late July and did an interview with me on the farm. I told her about my daily routines at MRS, about our services and what I do here. The article was featured on a entire page and definitely brought in some business. The link is also posted on the Medway River Stables Facebook page.

Things seemed to pick up quite quickly in the last week of July and that gave me some positive energy toward August. That was really the month to look forward to and I will document it much further in detail! Happy Reading :)


1 comment: