Monday, August 22, 2011

About Me and My Goals

Hello All :)

For the longest time, I thought I would start writing a blog about MRS and how it all began. Then I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do it or if I had time or energy for it. As the summer went on, I have met some of the best people that I could ever work with. With this type of business, you get many clients through the door on a weekly basis and in order for me to remember everything, I decided to start this blog. This journey has been difficult but very exciting, so I figured I would share it with those who enjoy reading and learning.  This blog is purely for my friends, family and clients, whom I have to thank for making this whole journey possible :)

A Little About Me


My name is Livia Mueri. I am 24 years old and recently graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce from Dalhousie University. Since I was a little girl, I have been nothing but horse obsessed and spent every minute growing up at my grandparents' small stable in Switzerland. In 1998, I found out that my family and I would be moving to Canada. The Canada part didn't really matter to me. It was the "stable" and "farm" that would forever change my life. You see, life in Switzerland is like life in a big city. There is no room to move and pressure is always on. A farm life is something I could never have imagined at age 9, until we first came to Canada in 1996. After that trip, we could not wait to come back, so in 1999 our lives changed as we moved across the big pond. From this point on, my love for horses grew bigger every day. Being able to work with them personally and through the trail riding business opened my eyes in so many ways. I knew I would want to work with horses for the rest of my life.

As a 12 year old, I entered my first competitions on our aged trail horse Brandy. He was a good soul and at the age of 20 years still learned with me every day. He and I managed to complete our first cross rail courses, as well as small 2 ft classes. Sadly, Brandy was put down last Christmas at the age of approximately 32 and I still miss him every single day. From him, I moved up to our Dutch Warmblood, Harie who at this point came to Canada with us (a year later in 2000). At 13-14, we competed at the 3 foot jumper level throughout the province. At 15, we won the first 3ft6 course we ever did together at Loyal Hill. At 16, we won the first 3'9 course we ever entered at Red Bank. Harie taught me everything I knew and he is still with us today at the age of 22. He is now our schoolmaster and is teaching my sister all the same tricks as he taught me.

In 2003 I acquired Oskar, a horse we had sold as a 4 year old. He had been a seasoned 4'6 jumper and would become my new teacher. He and I competed at 4' level and schooled up to 4'3-4'6 at home. At our first show, we won the first ever 4' class I had entered. Unfortunately, at this point in life I had graduated high school and went off to University. Every weekend, I would be home doing barn work and schooling horses, but it became difficult to show horses, however I stayed committed to my four legged friends.

Since 2003, we have only had our personal jumpers and the farm always seemed a bit empty without 13 horses. I have been determined since I started my Commerce degree, that I would want to start a business here on this farm again. It seemed unrealistic and not so feasible, for a young person to start this whole business on their own.

In 2009, a year before I graduated, I went on a student exchange to Finland. It was one of the best experiences in my life, but living without horses for 6 months became a major mental battle for me. The more I was away from them, the more determined I became to find a solution. At the time, tourism had also decreased immensely since 2003(and is still not much better), so my goals had quickly been erased by this. In Finland, my best friend was Roland, an Italian whom I could talk to about anything. He realized just how determined I was, and supported me the whole way through my ideas and plans. As I returned to finish my last year at Dal, I wrote a business plan for my Entrepreneurship class. Since I did not graduate until April and had no savings(or the belief), I decided to wait another year. This would determine if it was the right thing or the wrong thing to do. I worked at Trot In Time in Lunenburg for two consecutive summers and every day, I went home and debated if I should do this or not. My boss encouraged me every week and eventually I gained some belief.

Last winter, I had 4 months to debate with myself while recovering from a terrible lower back injury which left me crippled for months. My plans of riding all winter and working with some boarders shattered in November, before I really started. I managed to get through, and maybe those difficult times just reminded me that it would be worth it in the long run. At some point, I decided not to debate anymore and just throw my heart into it and here we are now. The paper work was all completed by May and at this point I had already acquired three of my four current horses.

I now invite you to join my journey(started in February)as I post about each of the horses and about daily life on a farm with a stable offering Lessons, Pony Rides, Trail Rides and Birthday Parties.


No comments:

Post a Comment