Monday, August 22, 2011

About MRS

Medway River Stables is located in Mill Village, Nova Scotia, on a 55 acre farm. This farm belongs to our family and had been the home of a busy, great trail riding business until 2003.

Medway River Stables opened in the spring of this year. It took some time to acquire all the right horses and to decide on the main focus. Starting this business entirely on my own, left me with only a few options. As an individual, I am only capable of doing so many things in a day, so I decided to begin with lessons and trail riding. Starting small is usually the best way to go, so last winter I leased a pony named Ella. With her and another horse, I was able to start some students over the winter. In February, once I had plans set in stone, I went on a search for a new lesson horse. This one would also be my first horse to join MRS as a business. Of course we have had Harie and Karissa(two warmbloods) here for many years.

In February, I went to the valley to see a horse named Manny. He would become my number one lesson horse. Manny is a cute, brilliant Thoroughbred/Morgan, with a lot of experience. He is a character and then some, but does his job well. At the end of February I took a trailer and went to pick him up for a trial. I knew he wouldn't go home again.

Next in line was Mr Sunshine. After acquiring Manny, I kept my search going for some trail horses, so I would have enough time to train them and get them in shape for May. I had gotten in touch with a sweet lady who was looking to rehome her Standardbred. This ended up being one of the most eye opening experiences of my life. Sunshine will get his own post, so be sure to look for it. He came to me completely starved to the bone. I had nooo idea what I had just gotten myself into, or whether or not it would work out. Two months later, he had the first ride with his favourite kid, Austin. Today, six months later he is happily doing some trail rides with kids, still building his muscle. I would have to say he has a nice beer belly on him now ;) Whoops, hay belly I mean.

In April, I bought a pony named Midnight. She is a Morgan/Quarter Horse cross and is as mighty as a horse. In fact, she is borderline horse anyway, but she is the smallest I have. She came out of a field and knew nothing, but now she is a perfect trail and pony ride mount. In April, I had gotten two other horses for trials, but they unfortunately did not work out for different reasons. In this business, one has to find the most suitable and trustworthy horses out there. One of them was a total sweetheart and it broke my heart. After many tears and sleepless nights, I stumbled upon an ad. A lady was looking to lease her horse for a year due to personal reasons. I contacted her and the next day, I was able to go see the horse. Cheyenne is now my number one trail horse. This mare is fantastic and I could not be any happier with her. I will certainly say that I have had great luck with all the horses that have found me :)

These four horses have given me the opportunity to start something I did not think was feasible. With a little luck, and some great people, anything is possible. To this day( 4 months later) I have had next to no issues with any of these horses. They each have completely different personalities. Anyone who walks through our barn will tell you that. Each one has a heart of gold and I am fortunate to be able to work with them.

Now I will start this diary with some of the highlights from this spring! I will see if I can catch up to August :) Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment